Tuesday, August 17, 2010

WTF?

I'm not on medication - really. And I don't think I need to be either. But it's been creeping up on me for a while and yesterday at a grocery store - it happened.

Let me preface this a bit first. For years Shadow has said to me how nice it must be to go to an office every day and communicate with adults. All she had at home of course were two (then) very young children who you talked 'at' more than talked 'to'. I'm not entirely sure that has changed yet, but in my present state of affairs, I think that might be preferable.

At work is fine and all - yes, I can talk to adults - about work stuff. But now when I get home, I've got ... no one to talk to. So, as I was saying, yesterday I realized that I had a friend - myself. Yup, I caught myself not only talking to myself in the grocery story - using that low, lips-barely-moving sort of mumble you usually associate with alley drunks and meth-heads who have no teeth, but I was...actually answering myself.

Indeed, I was carrying on a conversation to myself - looking at food labels and discussing with myself the merits of carbohydrates and such. Just to top it all off, when I did realize what i was doing, I did the following - out loud:

..."what the hell are you doing?"
"talking to myself?"
"Great, now I'm crazy"
"I've been crazy"
..finally, to myself "Hey, inside voice, you need to reassert yourself a little here bro."

Fortunately...well, no, there is no 'fortunately' to this story I guess. But maybe if I do ever need to go on medication, I'll have enough of me for a game of cards.

No comments:

Post a Comment