Sunday, August 1, 2010

The move that won't end...

By now I think it's pretty obvious that this move to Texas hasn't been without some ... how shall we say ... consternation. As yesterday's post shows - or I thought it showed - that was all pretty well in the past. Until....

Today. So I'm driving my newly engined Ford Escape back from the base grocery store when I notice it seems to be 'shifting' (it's an automatic) a little funny. And no sooner do I pronounce this in my head than the thing pretty much shuts down. Not white smoke shut down like last time, thankfully, but it slowed down to about 10mph.

Drop the gas pedal to the floor and listen to engine, well, whimper. About 2000 rpms was it. Dropping the pedal to the floor should immediately send the tach to about 5 or 6000 rpms and have the motor screaming and the car moving. Nothing of the sort. In fact, it was as quiet as this car has ever been.

So I pulled into a parking lot and asked the pIzza hut people to lend me a phone book. They did one better and the woman who was working gave me a lift home. She had Van Halen's 'Jump' as a ring-tone which was interesting - not something you hear everyday and certainly not what you'd expect a woman's phone to be playing, but there you are.

So, tomorrow is another day off work and pulling what's left of my hair out while trying to sort out the mess that is my vehicle situation. If it was paid for I'd just take it into the desert and shoot it. Alas, it's not. Not by a long shot.

Oh, and classes start next Saturday...fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment