Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Because it's been almost a week

I need to remind myself occasionally, that part of the reason I'm doing this is to get some writing practice. I wish I could do it and have a point, but at least once a week makes it like doing a newspaper column - only without the layout worries and the commander having to review every word (see Griffiss AFB, c. 1992-1995). Still there are weeks when, truth be told, there's just not that much happening.

Over the course of the last week or 8 days or so, I've actually been running about 5 times which is good. My knees are tight and I groan like an octagenarian when I get up, but I suppose that's just practice for 40 years down the road. That much practice and I'll be able to make that getting up noise without moving. Hopefully people will just bring me drinks in the hopes that I don't - we'll see.

The running is actually alright (other than said knees) my runs are up to about 3.5 miles and the time per mile has dropped about 15 seconds, so I guess I'm feeling pretty good about that. What I'm not feeling good about is the way the government wastes your money.

That's right. Believe it or not the government is buying shoddy equipment. Take the scale at the gym for instance. Two weeks ago I weighed a rather portly 190 pounds -- hence I started running. Now, granted, it's only been a week and I don't really expect to be significantly lighter - or lighter at all really. So you can imagine my surprise when I got on the scale after my run today and weighed in at 194!

What makes me feel slightly - and I emphasize 'slightly' (ironically) - is that in the couple of times I've managed to eclipse the 190 plateau - I've really "felt" 190+. I didn't - and don't right now, so 194 came as a bit of a shock to say the least. Now I've been told that there is always a little gain before the loss, so I'll keep an open mind about the whole thing.

Still, I think we should stop buying our equipment from the lowest bidder.

No comments:

Post a Comment