Sunday, August 8, 2010

Things to keep in mind...

I feel like an explorer - or at least I did this morning.

I decided to go out for a little run today - first time in about a month. I'm pretty well acclimatized to the 100 degrees by 11 a.m. and I figured the fresh air would do me good. So, I laced up the tennies, grabbed the shuffle and off I went.

I would be remiss if at this point I didn't momentarily give a nod to safety. The ipod is fine, but when running in Texas it's probably a good idea to have water - or at least a couple of sweat-soggy dollar bills to buy some - and a hat. Hats are good. Cowboy hats - probably not so much.

Anyway, I figured I was only going to go 20-30 minutes anyway so it would be fine. Running, as you know, is different than driving. For one thing, you have no GPS when you're running and the roads all look different - because they are. Find a reasonable less travled road and you're running on it. Well, I found that and I started to run. After about 15-20 minutes, I figured I'd just cut through a housing area and get back to my apartment complex. The only problem was, that housing complexes are not built on a grid system - neither is most of San Antonio truth be told. And you don't really 'cut through' a housing complex as much as you 'wander around' one.

When I finally did exit said housing complex I was faced with a bit of a dilemma - left or right. Naturally, I chose left. Why naturally? Because I wanted to go right and I discovered this after I'd walked about half a mile to the left.

People I've worked with can (and if given a couple of beers will with great exaggeration (ok, not so much) tell you that I have a wee bit of a problem with navigation. But I finally found my way home albeit 90 minutes later and I wasn't dehydrated (much), and the battery hadn't run out on my shuffle - so all was well.

The upshot is that I found a running path that I now know and a quicker way to get to work even, so all in all, I feel kind of like Magellan.

No comments:

Post a Comment