Thursday, July 1, 2010

The 'stuff' society

This post is mainly because I feel guilty for not posting something here every now and again - keep in mind I'm still in New England for the next few days.

Still, it occured to me that I'm pulling a trailer to Texas that weighs more than 2000 pounds loaded. In most countries in the world, 2000 pounds of 'stuff' is probably as much as an extended family has - from grandpa down to jim-bob and elizabeth. For an American (or many 'western' families I suppose) it doesn't really start until after the first ton.

To whit - I don't have a cheese grater, knives of any useful purpose, saucepans, bedside light (or table), not a single cooking ingredient - not even as lowly as salt or olive oil.

We are definitely a 'stuff'-based society and while my ton of 'stuff' is mostly useful (the Opus stuffed animal being the likely exception but needing to be packed lest The Shadow throw it away as she's attempted to do several times over the last 20 years), there are pounds and pounds of it, that quite frankly, are not.

And when I get down south, the first needless stuff I think I'll work to get rid of will be the extra 30 pounds sharing the driver's seat with me. I'll post again probably from a hotel in the heartland somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment