Thursday, November 24, 2011

10 things I'm thankful for today (and everyday)

Thoughtful introspection is not a calling card of mine, but as today is Thanksgiving and as I sit here in BOB2.0 contemplating spending some hours playing computer games, I think it’s fair to say that as an individual I have plenty to be thankful for. As a nation, I think we do too, despite the best efforts of some groups that give us reason to give up hope altogether…but that’s why we vote.

So, in an effort not to be overburdening to you, I offer a quick list of the top 10 (non-political) things I’m thankful for this year:

1. I’m thankful the NFL got their stuff figured out and put on a season.

2. I’m thankful to be in a place where I don’t have to shop at Wal-Mart

3. I’m thankful that Shadow is a great cook who taught even me how to properly roast a chicken – or else I’d probably be starving to death, or weigh 400 pounds

4. I’m thankful I’m not French

5. I’m thankful I’m not a vegetarian or a vegan. (Not that there’s anything wrong with that, but meat=yummy and let’s face it, why go through life without bacon?)

6. I’m thankful that in both BOB and BOB2.0 I haven’t had any crazy neighbors – no screamers or fighters or people with stadium-quality stereo speakers

7. I’m thankful (still) that disco is dead

8. I’m thankful there are a few people in this big wide world who actually read this (truly, thanks, I appreciate it)

9. I’m thankful to be part of the 0.45% of Americans who have worn a uniform of our nation and thankful for the even smaller percentage (and their families) who have sacrificed what they have and continue to give meaning to holidays like today.

10. I’m thankful for the ceaseless patience of Shadow who for 16 months (and counting) has been mother, father, chauffer, provider, caregiver, disciplinarian, teacher, ATM, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, nurse and more – all by herself – while being cheerleader to me as I search for meaningful employment for next year. I hope our children grow up to appreciate what they have by way of a superstar mom.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment