Thursday, October 13, 2011

You Can Help Decide How Far I Ride

This week the folks who put on the Soldier Ride San Antonio - the fund-raising bicycle event to benefit the Wounded Warrior Project - put out the course route and distances for the Nov. 12 ride. The good news is they have a 25-mile route which I can do. The bad news is 25 miles is the shortest route.

There is also a 55 mile route, which my ego says I should try, but my brain tells me would be fool-hardy at the very least.

So, what to do...?

In the finest tradition of the political season which is all to early upon us, I've decided I'm going to let other people make up my mind for me. For you see, as this is a fund-raising venture, there are funds to be raised. Right now I've got a little over $400 but my stated goal has always been $1,000.

So, here's my plan. If I can achieve $1,000 in donations, I'll give the 55 mile distance a shot. For many cyclists this is no big deal. However, I'm not many cyclists. In fact I've never ridden more than 25 at any one time - ever. Hell, I just got the bike a couple months ago. So to try to pedal 55 miles will make excellent use of my body's ability to cripple itself I'm sure.

And in case you're curious, the 55 mile route isn't just a 25 mile route twice - it's one of those routes that once you're on it - you're on it. So short of falling off the bike and being a total wuss, it's pretty much all in after the 9-mile point.

If you are at all inclined, please click the link below which will take you to my Soldier Ride donation page and, if you can, please throw a few bucks to veterans who have quite literally often given a piece of themselves for America.

If you need me to do more than cycle 55 miles to earn your donation, let me hear what you've got in mind and I'll consider it. I only ask you make it do-able and if at all possible, amusing.

As for now, I promise this will be my last mention of the ride until after it's happened and the last time I ask you to consider donating. I'm sure this space will contain some account of the day by Nov. 13.

I'd like to thank some folks (again) for their help in getting me 40% of the way to my goal...so far:

- Ed Boucher
- Steve Bushey
- Val and Tim Trefts
- Scott Wakefield
- David Smith
- Lynne and Steve Cory
- Jon and Marie VanGuilder

Click here to donate:

No comments:

Post a Comment