Thursday, October 14, 2010

No point but it smells nice

So, I'm sitting around the 600 square foot box of boredom the other day trying to study but being constantly interrupted by the constant stream of nothing, and I notice a couple things that four months ago I would not have noticed at all.

A. I have got to do the dishes - they are not going to clean themselves. Now this is a little odd because back home I 'm the dish washer and I hate hate hate having dirty dishes lying around. Here...neh, not so much. No idea why that is at all but I'll probably do them tomorrow night. I can't tonight because I'm writing my blog.

B. I should probably vaccuum the floor again. the little roads I made through it last time are gone so it's time.

C. The sofa is actually a good place for the laundry - if you fold a little of it you can just kind of lay it on the arms and the back and you don't really ever need to put it away.

D. It, the apartment, doesn't smell exactly right. Now, it's not really smelly, but there's a little acridness which is kind of gross sounding but not really. At least no worse than any office you've ever been in so it's not like the plants would be wilting (if I had any).

But, there it is. So today I had to take the plunge and I actually went and bought one of those reed diffuser thinggys. I actually bought two so I don't have to do it again any time soon. I know as an adult I shouldn't feel at all awkward about that, but it was kind of like buying condoms for the first time - you know, head down, mumbling, trying to hurry the cashier along, really not wanting small talk or even change, just an escape route.

Just to make it look like it wasn't my idea and save some dignity I also bought some Kotex. (Well, ok, no I didn't ... but only because I didn't think of it until now.)

So, the big bachelor experiment is showing me some subtle truths...namely that I'll never be an interior decorator. But you know, it's not just a 'guy thing' and I know this because today I spoke with a friend in DC who is doing sort of the same thing - working in DC and driving to Southern Virginia on the weekends to be with her family -- she's having many of the same difficulties with laundry and dishes and such which I thought was interesting and it made me feel a little better.

I bet she doesn't have any problem buying reed diffusers though.

No comments:

Post a Comment