Saturday, September 25, 2010

All the world's indeed a stage

Normally, I write this blog in the same manner I would if it were a column in a newspaper - I try to have a point of some sort. Not so much this time, so please, just humor me.

This week I had the opportunity to see, for the 6th time, my favorite musical group - Rush. 3 friends from Canada who have been putting out music since 1974. Incredible really when you think about it that two of these guys knew each other since grade school and still live next to each other, work together and, from the point of view beyond the lighted stage, are still great friends.

Over the last 25 years I've seen lots of bands - Boston, Pink Floyd, The Grateful Dead (another blog post altogether that one), Ted Nugent, 10,000 Maniacs, Marillion, etc etc etc (all old bands who are no longer together, I know). Not one of those was as good as the worst Rush show for a variety of reasons.

I got to the arena about 90 minutes before the doors opened and just spent the time looking around. The crowd was diverse only in age. Most of them were about my age plus or minus a few years -- definitely there would be no mosh pit at this gig. (Keep in mind the band members themselves are 58 years old) The biggest difference, apart from probably 10-15% of the crowd being female (a huge boost in the number of women from Rush shows in years past let me tell you) the biggest difference was the number of kids. Parents with their sons and daughters.

In the immediate group of people around me there were probably 10 kids between the ages of 6 and 12 - all of them, according to the parent who accompanied them (always it seemed parent in the singular -- the $77 cheapest ticket could have something to do with it) anyway, all of them having done nothing but listen to Rush albums for the preceeding several months - pouring through their dads' collection and desperately wanting to hear Tom Sawyer (the lad behind me) or La Villa Strangiato (the young man to my right). Each got their wish although Strangiato was the first song of the encore and I think the little dude may have been asleep as it was on 11 p.m. by that time. He was nearly drooling on his mother's shoulder as the band raced into 2112.

The crowd at these shows, instead of being insular, drunk, stoned or whatever they are at most rock concerts, were really an odd family of sorts. Kind of like the camaraderie you get at a renessaince faire -- quite possibly the very same people as a matter of fact. This is almost certainly the group of kids who made Dungeons & Dragons popular and I would be willing to bet most of them have copies of the Lord of the Rings movies at home. Still, you could talk to people and they talked back - which is nice in a large group of strangers. The guy on my left was an infantry soldier heading out for his second tour to Iraq but he stayed in San Antonio a few extra days on leave so he could see the show before he left. In the parking lot you'd hear people talk about the next shows later in the week in Houston and Dallas -- they were going to all three. I'm a fan, but not like that.

In addition to the feeling of goodwill in the audience, it was interesting to watch the band itself. You can generally tell when a band is playing well or not; whether they are putting on smiles for show or not. This time, as I watched, it seemed that these three guys, for all the extra weight carried by Alex; for the (thankfully) lowered voice of Geddy; for the slightly balding head of Neil; these three guys were doing what they loved doing and doing it with their best friends. I've never seen a band so genuinely at ease. Ged and Alex making faces at drummer Neil; Alex talking to people in the front rows or throwing back his eyes to make fun of Geddy. They are much less high-strung than they were 20 years ago, more willing to make fun of themselves and it seems more willing to let the world in a little bit. Best of all, and perhaps considering their age, most impressively of all, their playing skill is still something to marvel at.

In 2007 when my friend Jason and I saw Rush in Montreal (which was a bit of a leap of faith as he isn't a really a fan of the band) I said I would like to bring my son to their next show - which, obviously, and unfortunately, I couldn't do this time. I'm hoping they tour again so I can - you never know how much longer they'll be doing this. But I think he would not only enjoy it, but he could also see that doing what you love doing matters; that you never stop learning and practicing and trying if you want to be the best at what you do; and that, in the end, if you have your friends, you'll be where you need/want to be.

It might seem a stretch to put that kind of expectation on a rock band -- but watching the kids at the show, and talking to their parents, I don't really think it is. Rush is the exception - holding onto their principles despite not being commercially "correct". They made a decision to make the music they wanted to make and hang the 'industry executives'. You've got to admire that even if you hate their music. That's really an excellent example of tenacity and the need to work hard for kids (and adults too).  

Will you risk going back to the farm equipment sales job? Yes, you run that risk.

Will you risk failing? No. Not if you're true to your values. I think that is a lesson anyone can take away from Rush's example -- the music, well, it's a helluva bonus. 

You don't get something for nothing
You can't have freedom for free
You won't get wise with the sleep still in your eyes
No matter what your dreams might be...


No comments:

Post a Comment