Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The fine print up Front

Welcome to my first-ever blog. And this from a guy who has never sent a text message or had an i-anything. It's something to behold - hopefully.

First, I should say upfront that the Unintentional Bachelor will not be a mid-life crisis event (I hope) as this is not a "Mr. Roper" kind of thing. The sad fact of the matter is that my job has taken me from New England and transplanted me here in Texas for at least a year or two - how much of that continues to be sans family remains to be seen but the best-case scenario is a year at least.

Why bother with a blog? Several reasons...
1. Keeping in touch with my wife, 8 year old son and 4 year old daughter
2. Getting a little back in touch with my writing roots as a former military journalist
3. The psycho-babble thought that if I know enough people are reading this and I tell them one of my goals is to lose 30 pounds (it is) while doing this, perhaps I'll feel compelled to actually do it.
4. To use the same reason as 3 above, to write, in the manner of a journal and attempt to describe what happens when you take a guy who is 42 and been married for nearly 20 years and throw him out on his own and make him fend for himself - totally and utterly on his own for the purposes of food, laundry, cleaning and the general detrius of day-to-day life ... all the while ... perhaps finally getting started on a terminal degree.

So, go to school, lose weight, do the laundry, cook and clean, make myself presentabe for the public - and all while using language that I have to think my kids might stand a reasonable chance of seeing - whew! Ok, I haven't even hit send yet, and I'm totally going to screw that last one right away - to my wife, whom in this Blog, I'll call "The Shadow" for that's what she is on the Internet and that's the way she would prefer to stay (and so she can publicly dis-own me if needs be), anyway, Shadow, your job is to run interference on this for the kids because I'm destined to swear or at least use improper grammar. If I figure out this blog thing and anyone actually reads/responds, then I also can't vouch for them.

If you are not The Shadow and are reading this and would like to comment, please do so in good taste keeping in mind my impressionable progeny indicated above. By all means, do leave some feedback though, as it will help - especially with the losing 30 pounds thing.

This whole effort should start in earnest on 12 July 2010 - my 42nd birthday.

Cheers
Ro in Tex(t)

2 comments:

  1. I love that you are doing this Roe! How fun! The shadow is a brave lady! Have fun on your journey and I'll be following along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on blog #1...and good luck. I look forward with your daily trips to Target and the supermarket. I think you're in good hands all the way around...supporting and lovely Shadow, and good friends who can tell you the difference between a fitted sheet and a flat sheet.

    ReplyDelete